Mucositis: It is dose and rate limiting toxicity caused due to Cancer Therapy which is a painful and debilitating condition. Symptoms seen are Pain, Decrease in Oral and Pharyngeal function, Oral bleeding. Mucositis starts with an initial inflammatory epithelial and vascular phase. It starts with White patches on mucosa, caused by epithelial hyperplasia/hypertrophy and intra epithelial edema.
Chemotherapeutic Medications or Drugs causing Mucositis:
- Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- Gemcitabine (Gemzar)
- Interleukin 2 (Proleukin)
- Oxaliplatin (Eloxatin)
- Procarbazine (Matulane)
- Busulfan (Myleran, Busulfex)
image courtesy- “diseasepictures.com”
Treatment of Mucositis:
- Frequent use of Opoid Analgesics is required because of Oral and Pharyngeal involvement.
- Amyfostine (Ethyol) is used to promote the repair of damaged DNA.
- Benzydamine Hydrochloride is used to decrease the signs and symptoms of Mucositis.