To select a dentist to meet your dental needs we have to go through the various fields of dentistry, when you are aware of all the specialization in dentistry then your search for the perfect dentist for your needs becomes much more easier. So here i am jotting down some tips which might help in How to find a perfect dentist.
What to look out for:
- First and foremost find out about the dentists Qualifications.
- Find out how long the Dentist has been practicing.
- If the dentist does not perform certain dental procedures then ask for his referrals.
- If you are going in for cosmetic procedures then ask the dentist for photos of his previous with Before and After photos of the operation.
- Distance between the dentists clinic and your home and office (you dont want to travel long distances for a dental checkup).Location of the dental office in proximity to your home or office is an important factor to consider, as you may not want to have to drive many miles away for dental appointments. This can be especially true if there is ever a need for a specialist such as a Pediatric dentist or Orthodontist, since there are usually frequent return visits throughout the duration of treatment for braces.
- Information about how much the dentist charges like estimates on some common procedures such as full-mouth X-rays, oral examination and cleaning(scaling), and filling a cavity, and weather it is within our reach.
- What dental health plans does the dentist support. Handling of dental insurance claims or payment varies with each dental office. While some dental offices will gladly file the claim with your insurance company for payment, other dental offices require payment upfront and patients must file their own dental claims for reimbursement. If you are without dental insurance coverage, it may be important for you to know if the dental office accepts credit card payments or offers any payment plans.
- What arrangements are made for handling emergencies outside of office hours? (Most dentists make arrangements with a colleague or emergency referral service if they are unable to tend to emergencies).
- Availability of office hours that meet your specific needs, such as the possible need for weekend or evening hours, due to work or family obligations. Sometimes dental emergencies arise at the most inopportune times, so you will need to know how such emergencies are handled with the dental office you choose. Punctuality of the dentist, weather the dentist is always on time or keeps you waiting for hours together.
- If you have small children then make sure to go t a dentist who has specialized in Pediatric Dentistry.
If you have been to the clinic then look around for these aspects of the dental clinic:
- Does the office appear to be clean, neat and orderly? Do all surfaces and equipment in the treatment room appear clean?
- Do you observe the dentist and staff wearing gloves and other protective gear during actual patient treatment?
- Is the dental staff helpful and willing to answer your questions?
Weather the instruments are used after sterilization from patient to patient.
So wish you good luck in finding a good dentist to fulfill all your dental needs.
And as i always include in my post “Prevention is better than cure“, stop the problem before it arises so that there will be no need of going on a hunt to find the perfect dentist.