Fractures of mandible are considered to be the most common fractures occuring in the body, and Angle of the mandible is the most common area in the mandible prone to fractures. So we should be in touch with the treatment procedures regarding fractures of mandible because the number of cases which can come to us is substantially high.
We are going to discuss about the Amount of time we need to immobilize mandibular fractures in tooth bearing areas:
- Fracture in the Angle of the mandible in a young adult with tooth removed from the fracture line: 3 weeks of immobilization
- Fracture in the Angle of the mandible in a young adult with tooth retained in the fracture line: 1 week is added due to presence of tooth which will delay healing compared to fracture line without tooth- 4 weeks of immobilization is required
- Fracture at the Symphisis of mandible: 5weeks of immobilization
- Fracture of the mandible in patients with age over 40 years: 1 to 2 weeks added to the respctive treatment timings of various types of fractures. So in case of angle of mandible fracture in 40 yr old it is 4 to 7 weeks
- Fracture of the mandible in children and adolescent patients: 1 week is substracted from the various fractures mentioned above. In angle of mandible 2 weeks of immobilization and in symphisis fracture 4 weeks of immobilization is required
Ref: Killey’s 4th edition mandibular fractures.