It is a type of Benign Tumor of Epithelial Tissue origin.
The Squamous papilloma is associated with Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) types 6, 11. This Tumor is of low virulance i.e it is not contagious.
- Veruca Vulgaris
- Focal Papillary Hyperplasia
- The Papilloma shows Exophytic growth.
- Numerous small finger like projections which result in lesion with a roughened, verrucous (or) Cauliflower Surface.
- It is a well circumscried tumor.
- The tumor is Pedenculated (Mostly) or Sessile (sometimes).
- Color: White (sometimes pink)
- Site: Tongue, lips, uccal mucosa, gingiva and palate (adjacent to uvula)
- Size: Few millimeters in diameter to several centimeters
- Age: No age prdilection.
- Charecteristic feature: Many long thin, finger like projections extending above the surface of mucosa.
- Each finger like projection is lined by Stratified Squamous Epithelium and contains a thin central connective tissue.
- The spinous cells proliferate in a papillary pattern.
- Koliocytes- HPV altered cells may or maynot be seen.
- Chronic inflamatory cells are seen.
Treatment and Prognosis:
- Surgical Excision incleding the base of mucosa into which the pedicle or stalk is inserted.
- If the Exicision is done properly then Recurrance is rare.