Xerostomia or Dry Mouth: It is a decrease in the amount of saliva secreted which leads to dryness of the oral cavity. We cannot call Xerostomia as a Disease or Condition but it should be termed as a Symptom for an underlying disease. As Dry Mouth is caused by an underlying medical condition it leads to further complications like Dental caries, gum Inflammation, Sore Throat, Swollen Taste buds, Inflammation of tongue etc.
Xerostomia – Dry mouth has many causes and identifying the exact cause is a difficult task – For a detailed list Causes of Xerostomia.
Here we have given a list of Drugs which lead to Xerostomia as they affect the salivary gland section:
- Appetite suppressants
- Alpha receptors antagonists for treatment of urinary retention
- Muscarinic receptor antagonists for treatment of overactive bladder
- Protease inhibitors
When Xerostomia is caused due to drugs it can easily be resolved by stopping the causative drug and replacing it under the supervision of the respective Physicians. The other precautions which should be taken in case of Xerostomia are Prevention of Caries, increasing saliva flow and regular wetting of oral cavity with water till the symptom subsides. There are certain medications which help in stimulating Saliva production such as Duestorm by Warren.
Artificial Saliva Sprays–
- Biotene Oralbalance Gel ad Xerotin Oral Spray
- BioXtra gel, Glandosane aerosol spray and Saliveze oral Spray – Artificial saliva preparations preferred in dry mouth caused due to radiotherapy or sicca syndrome.
- Saliva Orthana Spray
Salivary Stimulants for Dry Mouth or Xerostomia:
- SST tablets used in salivary gland impairment and salivary duct blockage patients
- Salivix pastilles stimulate saliva production in patients who have undergone Radiotherapy
- Simple Sugar Free Chewing Gums can also be used to stimulate saliva production
These help is relieving the symptoms caused due to Dry mouth until the underlying cause is treated and saliva production is bought to normal.