Lumbar Puncture Needle:
It is a Needle which is used in the Lumbar Puncture Procedure
It is a diagnostic and at times therapeutic procedure performed in order to collect a sample of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) for biochemical, microbiological, and cytological analysis, or very rarely as a treatment (“therapeutic lumbar puncture”) to relieve increased intracranial pressure.
CSF is removed from the Sub Arachnoid space by puncturing below the L2-L3 inter-vertebral space.
And the Instrument used in this procedure is the Lumbar Puncture Needle
- Multiple sclerosis
- Subarachonoid Haemorrhage
- Carcinomatous meningitis
- To confirm Raised intracranial pressure
- Instillation of contrast media or an Isotope
Structures pierced during LUMBAR PUNCTURE :
- Subcutaneous fat
- Supraspinal ligament
- Interspinal ligament
- Ligamentum flavum
- Dura mater
- Arachnoid matter
- Administration of intracranial Antibiotics
- Administration of Anti Leukaemic Drugs
- Spinal Anesthesia
- To remove CSF to lower the intracranial pressure in benign intracranial hypertension
- Thrombocytopenia and Coagulation Disorders
- Depressed consiousness especially if focal neurological signs are present
- Skin infections at the site of lumbar puncture
- Brain stem herniation
- Introduction of infection
- Postspinal headache
lefeyah rumanboi says
hi sir… i show a Lumber puncture picture above and i was looking for it. are you selling the thing? do reply me via email…
Sorry, I we do not sell this, you can get it from any medical equipment seller. It is commonly available.
What is the name of the lumbar puncture niddle?
It is called as Lumbar Puncture Needle, I don’t think it is called by some other name. Please let us know If you find out that It has any other name.