Differences between male and female skull are very important in forensics to determine the sex of the skull which has been recovered. From our ancestors, the differences in the skulls of males and females have been similar in obtaining different characteristics, which will be explained in the post below. The most obvious difference is the size of the skull but that depends on many factors like age, ethnicity, race, etc. The Differences between male and female skulls play an important role in Forensic odontology as well to help the police in their investigations.
We can look at many aspects to come to a conclusion, like weight of the skull, size, mandible. . .etc.
- Male: Heavier
- Female: Lighter
- Male: In males, the skull size is larger than that in females.
- Females: Smaller compared to that in males.
The bony mass or the thickness of the bone:
- Males: Thicker
- Females: Thinner
- Males: In males, the forehead is slightly sloping or receding.
- Females: The forehead is vertical.
Vault of the skull:
- Males: The vault of the skull is more rounded.
- Females: The vault is flattened than that in females.
Contour of the face:
- Males: The overall length of the skull is longer and the chin is bigger and protrudes more forwards, the skull is rugged due to its muscular make up, and the zygomatic bones are also more massive.
- Females: The skull is Rounded, with the facial bones being more smoother, with both the jaws mandible and the maxilla being smaller.
- Males: More rounded
- Females: Sharp.
- Males: Larger and the margins are rounded.
- Females: Smaller and the margins are less rounded.
Frontal bone and Forehead:
- Males: Brow Ridges are well demarcated
- Females: Smooth more vertical Frontal bone
- Males: Large Mastoid process
- Females: Small Mastoid process
These differences are very important in determining the sex of a skull in Forensic Dentistry or Medicine.
But if you are interested to do your own research start digging in your back yard, who knows you might get a pair of skulls so just look at these features to know wether it is of a male or female.